Content of the material
To calculate your lawns square footage we recommend using a tape measurer, pencil to write measurements, and the appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) to protect your face, eyes, mouth, hands, and feet.
The area of a circle is the radius squared (r2) multiplied by π = 3.14. The radius is equal to one-half the diameter of the circle.
Area = π r2
Area = (3.14)r2
Calculate the area of a circle with a radius of 30 ft.
Area = (3.14)r2
Area = (3.14)(30 ft)2 remember, square the radius first then multiply by 3.14
Area = 2,826 ft²
How to Calculate Square Footage
Square footage is area expressed in square feet. Likewise, square yardage is area expressed in square yards. Square meters is also a common measure of area.
Assume you have a rectangular area such as a room and, for example, you want to calculate the square footage area for flooring or carpet.
The way to calculate a rectangular area is by measuring the length and width of your area then multiplying those two numbers together to get the area in feet squared (ft2). If you have on oddly shaped area, such as an L-shape, split it into square or rectanglualar sections and treat them as two separate areas. Calculate the area of each section then add them together for your total. If your measurements are in different units, say feet and inches, you can first convert those values to feet, then multiply them together to get the square footage of the area.
Convert all of your measurements to feet
- If you measured in feet skip to “Calculate the Area as Square Footage”
- If you measured in feet & inches, divide inches by 12 and add that to your feet measure to get total feet
- If you measured in another unit of measure, do the following to convert to feet – inches: divide by 12 and that is your measurement in feet – yards: multiply by 3 and that is your measurement in feet – centimeters: multiply by 0.03281 to convert to feet – meters: multiply by 3.281 to convert to feet
Calculate the Area as Square Footage
- If you are measuring a square or rectangle area, multiply length times width; Length x Width = Area.
- For other area shapes, see formulas below to calculate Area (ft2) = Square Footage.
Lawn Size Online Tool
To estimate the cost of a landscaping project, measure your yard or a lawn size first. You need to know how much sod, mulch, sand, concrete, synthetic turf, building materials to buy.
The area of a triangle is one-half the base (b) multiplied by the height (h).
Area = [(b)(h)] / 2
Calculate the area of a triangle where the base is 60 ft and the height is 30 ft.
Area = [(b)(h)] / 2
Area = [(60ft)(30ft)] / 2
Area = 900 ft²
Converting Other Units to Yards
In order for the length × width formula to work, both measurements must be in the same unit. But if you want the answer to be in square yards, then the length and width measurements must be in yards. If you don’t have access to a ruler with yard markings, or if you’re finding it to get exact measurements in terms of yards, you can take your measurements in another unit and then convert them to yards before you calculate the area.
The most common conversion into yards that you can expect to make is feet to yards. 3 feet equal 1 yard, so to convert from feet to yards, divide by three.
Example: Convert 51 feet into yards.
51 feet ÷ 3 feet/yard = 17 yards
Things to Consider
- If you have any questions or need help measuring the square footage of your lawn, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Make sure to clear out debris, rocks, and other objects in your yard to accurately measure the square footage of your lawn.
- To make the easiest calculations, measure areas in the shape of a rectangles or square.