- National average price of gas hits $4 for first time since 2008, GasBuddy reports
- No, you can’t tell if the gas at the pump comes from Russian oil
- The US imports crude oil and petroleum from Russia, but it's not a major source
Tips to Make that Cheap Gas Go Farther
While there are things you can do to boost your fuel economy, here are the easiest tips to making that cheap gas deal you just found go farther:
- Travel Light – Lighten up that trunk! Do you really need to keep all those books, heavy winter boots, and other junk in the trunk?
Compare this trunk to the one at the top of the page. Which one looks more like yours? In this version, I’ve only left in car emergency supplies (like jumper cables and a portable tire inflator).
Dump out the junk. Remember: the heavier the load, the worse the mileage.
- Ease up on the Pedal – I know. I found it hard to believe too, but it really is true. The faster you drive, the worse the mileage. Every 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an extra $0.20 per gallon for gas!So stick to the speed limit (okay, maybe a few miles over on the freeway…). Added benefits? No speeding tickets and lower insurance rates!
- Keep ’em Inflated – Picture yourself out on a long walk. You can choose between old flip flops or a good pair of walking shoes. What will get you there faster and with less effort? Not those poorly-cushioned flip flops.
It’s the same with your car. Poorly inflated tires are proven to reduce your gas mileage, as is driving in a car that needs an oil change or isn’t in good condition.
- Turn it Off - Letting you car idle (i.e., keeping it running when it doesn’t need to be) is like pouring money down the drain.
I once had a friend who loved to stop by and visit for 20 minutes or more…all the while leaving her car running in my driveway while she was in my house. I can’t imagine how much gas she must have wasted each year! Waiting for your sweetie while she runs in the store for a minute? Park it. Turn it off. ‘Nuff said.
Looking for more ways to save, including on entertainment and eating out?
Check out my Discount Travel & Entertainment Deals page and my page.Virginia Beach Family Fun › › How to Get Cheap Gas