How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Car Title in Washington

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Car Title in Washington

How to get a Duplicate Title in Washington

If your car’s title has been lost, stolen, or damaged, you’ll need to request a replacement. 

You can apply for a duplicate at any vehicle licensing office or quick title office near you.

When you request a duplicate title, the original will typically be canceled by the Department. 

What do I need to replace a lost title?

When you are replacing your lost title in Washington, you should be prepared with the following information and documents:

  • Your driver’s license and driver’s license number
  • Your car’s VIN. 
  • The car’s license plate number.
  • The vehicle’s information including year, make, model, etc.
  • Payment for the duplicate title fee.

You also may need to mark the reason for your duplicate title request, which will typically either be lost, stolen, or illegible/mutilated.

If the original title is damaged, you may be required to submit it to the DOL along with the duplicate title application. 

How long does it take to get a duplicate title?

After you submit your application for a lost title, you should expect to receive your duplicate within a few weeks. 

In some circumstances, you may be able to request a rush title for an additional fee.

If you do not receive your new title, contact the DOL. 

How much does it cost to file for a lost title in Washington?

The fee for a duplicate title in Washington is $35.50 at a vehicle licensing office or $85.50 at a quick title office. 


More Information

Nebraska Commercial Driver LicenseNebraska State Patrol Carrier EnforcementFederal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) Safer SystemUnified Registration System (URS)


Driver Record Retention ScheduleDriver Record Retention ScheduleData Request GuidelinesData Request GuidelinesBulk Record SearchesExempted Uses Permitted Under the Uniform Motor Vehicle Disclosure ActBecome a Subscriber

What You’ll Do to Replace your Vehicle Title in Washington

  • Step 1: Mail the completed document plus payment to:

                   Refunds and Title Services

                   Department of Licensing

                   PO Box 9030

                   Olympia, WA 98507

  • Step 2: Receive your replacement vehicle title via U.S. mail within 10 weeks

What Does It Mean To Be Bonded?

When you getabonded title, you are promising that you are the true owner the vehicle. The bond is in place to protect the DMV and any previous owners of the vehicle.

If someone comes forward later on and says that they are the owner of the vehicle and that you should not have been granted a bonded title, they can make a claim on your bond.

If the claim is determined to be valid, you would be responsible for satisfying the claim. Usually this means paying the previous owner for the vehicle, or giving the vehicle back. The surety company will let you know what you must do to satisfy the claim. 

Want to learn more about the bond claim process?Check out this resource.

Available Methods for Replacing Your Car Title in Washington

There are currently two available ways to request a replacement car title in Washington: in person and via mail. Both methods for requesting a replacement auto title will require applicants to provide the DOL with the relevant application form and evidence they have paid the allotted fees. Motor vehicle owners have the option to either finalize their lost car title replacement via a standard vehicle licensing branch or apply through a quick title office for faster processing.

Note that quick titles can be obtained for a higher price, however, they are not available for motor vehicles that have been reported stolen, insurance or wrecker destroyed, or for rebuilt vehicles.

Note: The procedure to replace a car title online in Washington is not an available option at the moment.

How to Replace a Lost Car Title in Washington by Mail

In order to replace a car title by mail in WA, applicants must ensure they have the relevant documentation ready for submission and they will be able to provide payment for the applicable fees. Prior to mailing their application package, vehicle owners must double check the information provided on their application form since any fraudulent data may lead to denial of their request.

A mail-in Washington replacement car title request will also require applicants to have their signatures notarized. While regular vehicle licensing offices generally mail duplicate titles within eight to 10 weeks, quick title branches may issue a replacement immediately.

How to Replace a Lost Car Title in Washington in Person

The steps to replace a lost car title in person in WA are typically the same as those that apply to mail-in procedures. If you choose to request a replacement title in person, you must first figure out how to apply for a car title through regular processing or an expedited delivery, depending on your needs. Either way, be prepared to furnish the applicable paperwork and payment for the set fees to a local WA vehicle licensing office or a quick title location.

In-person WA replacement auto title requests do not require a notary public. You can provide your signature in the presence of a vehicle licensing agent instead. Also, remember to contact the Department of Licensing before visiting an office to find out whether you will need to present a valid photo ID.

Note: It is the responsibility of the lienholder to apply for a duplicate title if the motor vehicle has not been paid in full.

By mail

  • You will need to fill out Form TD-420-040 with all the signatures notarized.

  • Include the $31 fee.

  • Mail the package to the following address:

Refunds and Title Services Department of Licensing PO Box 9909 Olympia, WA 98507

No matter which way you go about the application it can take up to 10 weeks to receive the duplicate title. You can find more information about replacing a lost or stolen car title in Washington by visiting the state’s Department of Motor Vehicles site.



Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest Notify the WA Department of Licensing that title, registration, tabs, decals, OR license plates have been lost, stolen, OR destroyed. Releases you from that vehicle's interest. Get Form Open the form


Vehicle/Vessel Owner Name Update Affidavit for Individual If your name has changed, submit this form to the Department of Licensing to update your WA vehicle/vessel records. Get Form Open the form

This form is provided by your state’s agency/department. Please select one of the below to continue: Email the link to this form


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.